Sunday, February 20, 2011

About problem specification and powerpoint slides


As the week comes to an end, I'm providing you with another update.
This week I've concentrated on clearly specifying the problems that occur when trying to use Dube's market model in the current cloud computing market. I must admit that I had more difficulties with this than I had anticipated. Although the problems in itself are not very difficult, they do tend to become rather complex (as many different factors play a role). This makes clearly explaining what the exact problem is hard, as the problem itself is composed of different subproblems, of which some are also hard to define.
However, I do believe that I have succeeded in clearly defining some of the issues (a lot of work is still to be done). The result of this is now part of my thesis document (I succeeded in adding another 5 pages to the document this week).

I've also created a slideshow presentation for the presentation I mentioned last week. I will put the slides online after I've given the presentation (which will take on Wednesday, Feb 23th).

Although creating the slideshow has helped me to (re)gain a better overview over some parts, it has also made me more aware of the fact that I should invest enough time to thoroughly explaining some concepts and ideas in the thesis itself. In particular, I think I should re-evaluate the time I spend building a working prototype, the time I spend exploring new topics and the time I spend on elaborating on existing ideas. After this week, I believe that the elaboration of existing topics should get some more attention.

Since I also have to give a presentation about my research internship on Wednesday, and I still have some preparation to do for that, I think it is safer not to make to many specific plans for the coming week. I *am* going to try and work on the price discovery issue (which I didn't get to in the past week), as well as write an additional 5 pages for the thesis itself.

As already mentioned, I will be posting the slideshow of Wednesday's presentation in the second half of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment